Defense Fights Against UC Davis
UNC Football fell to UC Davis Saturday
By Ryan Pfeifer, UNCBears.com
Box Score Attached
DAVIS, Calif. – Northern Colorado made a pair of interceptions, provided constant pressure on UC Davis’ quarterback, but was unable to make enough plays offensively as they fell to the Aggies on Saturday night.
The defense came to play as Jace Bobo intercepted a Hunter Rodrigues floater on the Aggies’ first drive of the game. Uryan Hudson brought pressure from the outside causing the weak pass. It set the Bears up with a chance to score first in the game.
Unable to capitalize, the game was scoreless after the first quarter.
David Hoage let his presence be known in the first half recording three sacks during it. He finished the night with three sacks along side 3.5 tackles for a loss, a team-leading eight tackles and a QB hurry.
UC Davis gained some momentum going into the half with an 11-0 lead.
Just like the first half, UNC picked off an Aggies pass on their first drive of the second. Nick Ciccio grabbed the ball out of the air after Brooks Talkington tipped it at the line.
While Northern Colorado’s defense continued to keep them in the game UC Davis broke through at the end of the third quarter to put the game away.
UNC’s lone points of the game came on a Ben Raybon 44-yard field goal.
What They Said
– Captains for the game were Eddie Gonzalez, Jace Bob, Dylan McCaffrey and Grant Stephens.
– RJ Potts and Joe Golden started on both offense and defense in the game. Potts lined up in the backfield on offense and as a linebacker on defense, Golden at tight end and defensive end.
– Jace Bobo is the first Bears since Stone Kane in 2017 with an interception in back-to-back games.
– Brandon Belgrave recorded the longest rush of his career with a 25-yard scamper in the first quarter. He finished with a career-high 65 rushing yards on 11 carries.
– David Hoage matched his career-high with three sacks.
– Nick Ciccio made his first career pick in the Blue & Gold.
– Ben Raybon has now made four kicks over 40-yards this season.
UNC is on the road again next week heading to Cedar City, Utah to face Southern Utah. Kick-off is set for 6 pm MT.
Northern Colorado returns to Nottingham Field the next week to host Sacramento State on October 30 at 1 pm. Tickets to the game are available at UNCBears.com/Tickets.
To stay up to date on all things UNC Football, visit UNCBears.com and follow the team on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Director of Strategic Communication
O: 970-351-3645 | C: 720-290-8886
#Bears Strong | @Rpfeifer82