FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Football Makes Key Plays at Key Time to Earn Road Win
UNC football won at Southern Utah 17-9 Saturday
By Ryan Pfeifer, UNCBears.com
Game Book Attached
CEDAR CITY, Utah – Key plays at key times, helped Northern Colorado earn the 17-9 win over Southern Utah on Saturday night to improve to 3-5 on the year and pick up their second Big Sky victory of the season.
A 19-play, 90-yard drive in the fourth quarter took [8:15] off the clock and ended in a touchdown that was the difference for the Bears. Northern Colorado converted three third downs on the drive and Dylan McCaffrey scored on a fourth down sneak to cap off the drive.
McCaffrey used his legs as a threat all night long finishing with 100 yards on the ground. He picked up the first big third down of the drive scampering 16-yards on third and 13. Gene Sledge picked up the second third down with a 19-yard run.
Sledge finished the game with 62 yards and UNC as a team rushed for 251.
The Bears’ offense started the night on a high note as well driving the ball 75-yards in 10 plays to open the game. McCaffrey found Kassidy Woods for the 4-yard touchdown pass to make it 7-0.
Northern Colorado’s other scoring drive of the night came on yet another long drive. Ben Raybon connected on a 29-yard field goal to cap off a 16 play, 63 yards drive that ate up [6:32] of the clock.
UNC’s defense once again stood up to the test holding SUU to just 21 yards on the ground and three field goals.
The defense’s big stand of the night came in the third quarter as SUU was knocking on the door to tie the game. Facing first and goal from the three, the Bears stood tall forcing a field goal.
What They Said
– Captains for tonight’s game were Eddie Gonzales II, Grant Stephens, Dylan McCaffrey and Joe Golden.
– Dylan McCaffrey’s run of 52 yards is the longest since Jacob Knipp’s 72 yards against Portland State in 2019.
– The score on the opening drive was the second of the year for the Bears. The other came against Houston Baptist.
– Tru Wilson had a career-high 85 yards rushing
– Dylan McCaffrey’s career-best 100 yards rushing made him the first Bear to reach 100 yards in a game since Milo Hall in 2019.
– It was the first time since 2019 against Washington State that UNC went for over 200 yards rushing.
– UNC’s defense held an opponent under 100 yards rushing for the first time since Houston Baptist earlier this season.
– With the win, UNC now has won two straight against Southern Utah, both in Cedar City.
– The Big Sky leader in tackles for a loss, David Hoage added 4.5 more in the game. He had 0.5 sacks and a QB hurry.
– The Bears had 9.0 tackles for a loss on the day.
Northern Colorado returns to Nottingham Field next week to host Sacramento State on October 30 at 1 pm. To purchase tickets to the game and any UNC event visit UNCBears.com/Tickets.
Director of Strategic Communication
O: 970-351-3645 | C: 720-290-8886
#GetUpGreeley | @Rpfeifer82