Bears shoot past Vandals
UNC men’s basketball made 12 three-pointers in their 74-54 win over Idaho
By Ryan Pfeifer, UNCBears.com
Box Score Attached
MOSCOW, Idaho – Northern Colorado men’s basketball drained a season-high 12 three-pointers on the way to a 74-54 win over Idaho to snap a three-game losing streak. UNC used nine second half threes to pull away from the Vandals.
The Bears had a balanced offensive night with all five starters scoring at least nine points and four of them in double figures.
It was a 12-2 run over seven minutes that put UNC in the lead in the first half. The Bears never gave it up from there. Greg Bowie II scored five straight points to cap it off.
Kur Jockuch had a strong first half with nine points and four rebounds to lead the Bears as the team led 30-24.
After both teams shot under 40.0% in the first half, they combined to make their first eight shots of the second half.
Northern Colorado went cold for four minutes allowing Idaho to cut the lead to four. UNC responded with a 20-4 run after that to put the game away.
The three-headed monster of Matt Johnson II, Daylen Kountz and Bodie Hume scored all 20 points in the run. The trio combined for 47 points on the night.
What They Said
Stat of the Game
Northern Colorado made a season-high 12 three-pointers in the win. Nine of those makes came in the second half with six different players making a three.
– Matt Johnson II scored in double figures for the fourth straight game. His 18 points led the Bears and he added in three rebounds and two assists. He is averaging 17.3 points during the four-game stretch.
– After leaving the game a minute in last Saturday, Daylen Kountz returned to the lineup scoring 17 points.
– Bodie Hume was a rebound shy of his third straight double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds. He led the team with three steals and a block.
– UNC recorded its second-most assists of the season with 15. Tre’shon Smoots led the team with four.
– Kur Jockuch recorded a pair of assists for the third consecutive game.
– Northern Colorado extended its win streak over Idaho to seven games.
Around the Big Sky
Southern Utah is undefeated no more. The Thunderbirds took their first Big Sky loss of the season at preseason favorite Eastern Washington 75-63. Montana State stayed undefeated with a seven-point win over Portland State and Montana used a big first half to defeat NAU.
Northern Colorado looks to complete their first sweep of the Big Sky season on Saturday. The Bears and Vandals tipoff at 1 pm in Moscow.
Director of Strategic Communication
O: 970-351-3645 | C: 720-290-8886
#Bears Strong | @Rpfeifer82